This makes a fabulous, filling breakfast with plenty of protein, calcium, fiber, and healthy fats. I prefer organic, free-range, omega 3 eggs. I’m not a food snob, really. It’s just that I have a friend who grew up on a commercial chicken farm, and…well….let’s just say I don’t mind spending an extra dollar for my eggs.
This recipe is pretty simple. The only hard part is making sure the avocado halves don’t topple over during baking. To avoid that, you can put them in muffin tins, or a baking dish that is small enough to hold them all snugly, or you can prop them up with crumpled foil.
Bake at 425 F. for 15 minutes or so.
- 4 almost-ripe avocados
- 6 eggs
- salt and pepper
- garnish of choice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- After taking the pits out of the avocados, scoop a little extra flesh out of the middle to make more room for the egg.
- Crack open an egg and pour the yolk in first, followed by some of the white. You will not be able to fit all the white into the avocado.
- Place the avocado halves in a muffin tin or snuggly into a baking dish to prevent them from toppling over and spilling.
- Cook for 15 - 20 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Garnish with lime juice, chives, cheese, salsa, tomatoes, or dressing.