I had three sad looking bananas sitting in my fruit basket, but I wasn’t in the mood to make banana bread, so each day they sat there drawing guilt from me because I couldn’t bring myself to throw them away, but I couldn’t bring myself to make banana bread either. So I decided to turn them into frozen pops. I tried an experimental recipe with coconut milk and cocoa powder (my husband’s idea, I can’t take the credit). To be honest, I didn’t have high expectations. I figured they’d come out tasting too bland or too icy.
On the contrary. They turned out amazing! Nice and sweet, super easy to bite into, and full of flavor. The trick is letting the bananas turn brown so the banana flavor and sugars really dominate. And the cream from the coconut milk keeps them from turning to solid ice.
You can do this with regular bananas as well, but you’ll need to add a little sweetener to taste. And they still won’t taste quite as good. I’m just warning you.
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk with cream
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 3 overripe bananas
- Blend the bananas and coconut milk together until smooth.
- Take the pitcher off the blender motor and fill each mold ⅓ of the way full with banana mixture.
- Return pitcher to blender and add cocoa powder. Blend until smooth.
- Fill each mold to the fill line with remaining cocoa mixture.