And by meaty, I mean amazing. This luscious, full-bodied dish has all of my favorite things combined into one bite: Italian sausage, pasta, sauteed mushrooms and onions, and rich marinara sauce. My husband loves when I cook this for him and insisted I post it on the blog. So here it is!
Sautee peppers and onions together.
Brown the meat.
Sautee the mushrooms.
Combine everything together and add marinara sauce. Simmer for 20 min.
Serve on warm pasta with a nice green salad and some freshly baked french bread douced with oil and vinegar.
- 3 large Italian sausages
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 mini sweet peppers, diced
- ½ lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 16 oz. jar of marinara sauce (low-sugar, please)
- 1 16 oz. package penne pasta
- Cook entire package of pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is boiling, sautee the onions and peppers on medium high in half of the butter until soft. Set aside.
- Take the casing off of the sausage and cut it up into small bite-sized pieces. I recommend using kitchen shears for this job, as it'll go much quicker.
- Brown the meat. Sautee the mushrooms. Add everything together including marinara sauce, cover and simmer for 10 - 20 minutes.
- Serve on warm pasta.