This dish was inspired by a trip to Costco. I saw something similar in the refrigerated section, but I knew I could make three times the amount for cheaper. And healthier to boot. So I did.
I recommend using my no-fuss homemade dressing to give it a fresh taste. It beats store-bought dressing, and you can make extra dry mix and save it in the cupboard for later. Plus you can leave all those pesky chemicals, synthetic preservatives, and gelatins behind for one meal!
You can use any Penne you want, but Barilla Penne multigrain “Plus” is a great choice because it includes extra fiber, Omega-3, and 17g of protein per portion—to say nothing of the whole grains. If you want to feel good about eating a pasta salad, this is a great way to go!
- 1 (14.5 oz) box Barilla Plus multigrain penne pasta cooked al dente
- 1 small rotisserie cooked chicken
- 1 can black olives, sliced in quarters lengthwise
- 5 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 English cucumber cubed
- 2 cups mozzarella cubed
- 2 cups Italian dressing
- Pull chicken meat into bite-sized strips.
- Drain and cool the pasta (run cold water over it).
- Gently fold cooled pasta and salad ingredients together while pouring dressing over the top. Completely coat the salad.
- Store in fridge for 1 hour to chill.
If you want to make this a vegetarian or vegan dish, simply omit the chicken and mozzarella. It's still delicious!