It has been a while since we posted. Becky took on a new job and got very busy. However not all is lost, we will both be posting for the next little while. I am also building my cooking blog, kind of a Dad focused cooking blog, with all that in mind my cooking focus will be guy focus with giving the kids some nutritious fun meals.
The best thing a guy can cook with is fire. Without any adieu, let me introduce my favorite meal a burger. Doing this burger in WLC fashion I am cooking one of the best burgers in the world the Naina burger. I first encountered this burger during Alberta Burger Fest a hometown burger contest. The winner in 2014 was a burger from Naina’s Kitchen. In honor of that winning burger I have decided to introduce my own.
The Naina Stuffed Apple Burger (Granny Smith Apple, Marble Cheese, and Pastrami)
You will need to mix 1.5 lbs of lean or regular ground beef with 2 eggs. I don’t recommend extra lean ground beef because the fat is key to good flavor and most will cook off on the grill. I also like add a healthy pinch of salt and Montreal Steak Seasoning. I prefer the flavor of Montreal Steak Seasoning in lieu of pepper.
The center mix of the burger is comprised of chopped Granny Smith Apples, shredded marble cheese, and chopped pastrami. For the pastrami get the good stuff. The pastrami is optional, but highly recommend. I like the good stuff because pastrami can have an overwhelming flavor.
Now the magic begins. The trick is the balance of the meat being thick enough to stay together, but thin enough to cook all the way through. I use a lid that is the right radius. The burger need to be really wide because you are going to fold the edges up to create the side of the burger. You will put about a 1/3 of a cup of the mix into the middle of one patty and then fold the other patty over top and roll up the edges. For added flavor try some Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce in the middle as well.
Its grilling time. Cook at a minimum of 160 degrees Fahrenheit until well done.
Now dress those burgers.
Voila you now have World Famous Naina Burgers.
- 1.5 lbs of lean or regular ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- Course Salt
- Montreal Stake Seasoning
- 1 Coarsely chopped Granny Smith Apple
- 4 oz of chopped sliced pastrami
- ½ cup of grated marble cheese
- Buns and Burger Dressings as you like
- Mix the ground beef and eggs by hand.
- In a separate container mix the chopped apple, cheese, and chopped pastrami.
- Make 12 patties that are wider.
- Put the mix in 6 of the middle of the patties.
- Take the remaining 6 patties and top the stuffed six patties and folder the edges over and form a burger patty.
- Cook thoroughly at 160 degrees Fahrenheit until well done ,
- Dress as you wish