Sultry Sweet Potato Sandwich
This sandwich will blow your freaking mind. It is so good, you might need to eat it alone so no one hears you groaning. And it’s gluten free! No bread. At all. The “bread” is slices of roasted sweet potato! And in the center, you’ve got avocado, tomato, and arugula. I saw the arugula in the produce section and thought it would go well with this sandwich simply because the package described it as “Tender with a peppery & mustard-like flavor.”
And it was just that! I recommend going heavy on the baby arugula with this sandwich. It is so crispy and peppery, you’ll just die.
Do not kid yourself. Bread is NOT the only bread out there.
To be thorough, I tried this recipe with two different dressings: a greek yogurt roasted pepper dressing, and an ordinary poppy seed dressing. I literally CANNOT decide which one is better. The roasted pepper dressing gives the sandwich a more rounded, smoky flavor, while the poppy seed dressing gives it a touch of sweet and freshness. They are both excellent. Give them both a try and you decide!
- 1 large sweet potato (pick one with wide girth, for a larger sandwich)
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 Vine ripe tomato
- 1 Avocado
- Baby arugula
- Poppy seed or roasted pepper dressing
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice the pointy ends off the sweet potato and cut it into ¼ inch slices, as you would a loaf of bread.
- Place evenly on a lightly greased baking sheet, or on a Pampered Chef stoneware bar pan.
- Coat each slice with a thin layer of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 20 - 25 minutes until tender and golden.