I got this recipe from www.jocooks.com and modified it a little. It’s a gluten-free, low-carb rendition of chicken enchiladas that will surprise you with how yummy it tastes. And for those of you who are not zucchini fans, give this a chance. You might actually like it!
Be sure to try some mouth watering pomegranate guacamole with this recipe!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large or 3 small zucchini
- 1½ cups of fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ can of red enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Scoop or cut out the fleshy middle with a knife or a spoon and save.
- Chop up the zucchini flesh and the mushrooms. Add to hot skillet with melted butter and sauté until soft, adding a dash of salt for flavor.
- Meanwhile, add the 2 tbsp of oil to another skillet and cook the chicken until no longer pink.
- Drain any excess moisture from the mushroom mixture and combine it with the chicken in the other skillet. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Spoon the final chicken mixture liberally into each zucchini boat. Spoon some enchilada sauce over the mixture, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place each boat on a baking sheet (or as I prefer, on a Pampered Chef stoneware bar pan) and cover with aluminum foil--be sure to tent the foil so it does not stick to the melted cheese. Bake covered for 30 - 40 minutes or until zucchini is cooked through but still firm enough to keep shape.
- Garnish with green onions and add more sauce if desired.