This is another breadless alternative for America’s best-loved sandwich: the Sub. Honestly, you can make it almost however you want to–although I would stay away from standard condiments like mustard and mayo and stick with cream cheese or the like. This particular sandwich resembles something of a Philly cheese steak, but you can take some poetic license here and let me know what ideas you come up with.
All you gotta do is substitute the bread with cucumber. And you can cut the cucumber thick or thin, depending on your hankerin’. But this is a favorite hands down.
- 1 large cucumber
- Deli cut roast beef
- Cream cheese and chives spread
- Sliced tomato
- Romaine lettuce or baby arugula
- Peel the cucumber either all the way or in thick strips all the way around
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise
- "gut out" the seeds with a knife or spoon to leave room for the good stuff
- Lay out the sandwich as you like, and enjoy!