This recipe was at my husband’s request. He loves the meatlovers pizza with everything on it. So I thought I’d make him a casserole that brought home his favorite pizza with a little more of the protein and not all the carbs. It was a total hit. I’m definitely making this one again.
The temptation with this recipe is to want to season the meat, but I can assure you there will be plenty of salt and spices in the cheese, pepperoni, and pizza sauce.
There are some vegetables in this dish, but I recommend making a nice salad to go with it for good measure anyway.
- 1 pkg large pasta shells (25 - 30)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ white onion, diced
- Pepperoni, diced and divided
- 3 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook pasta shells al dente.
- While waiting on the pasta, saute the pepper and onion in one skillet and brown the beef in another.
- When onions and peppers are soft, combine with meat and add the tomatoes, ½ of the pepperoni, and ½ of the cheese. Turn heat down to med. and stir until blended and melted together.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Strain the pasta and let both the pasta and the meat mixture cool for a few minutes. Then stuff the shells full of the meat mixture and place into a greased baking dish until completely full.
- Drizzle with pizza sauce and add the remaining cheese and pepperoni, cover with foil or casserole lid and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 8 - 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.